- 7391 historical hydrographic profiles digitized from station sheets by the German Hydrographic Agency
RESTRICTED only accessable in ZMAW net or via CliSAP login What does that mean?
Data access via file system: /data/icdc/ocean/historical_hydrographic_data/RAW_DATA/bsh
Thousands of Temperature and salinity profiles obtained by means of Nansen hydrographic casts and available earlier only as station sheets have been digitized at the German Maritime and Hydrographic Agency (BSH).
In a cooperative effort between the KlimaCampus of the University of Hamburg and the German Oceanographic Data Centre (DOD, Hamburg) about 7500 hydrographic profiles were checked and identified as missing in the international oceanographic databases. Since most of the profiles were obtained in the decades before the second World War they represnt an important extension of the international historical database and a respective contribution to the IOC Glocal Oceanographic Data Archeology and Rescue Project (GODAR). Since 2009 our efforts resulted in locating about 7500 hydrographic profiles that are not yet available for the oceanographic community.
Period and temporal resolution:
- 1869 to 1969
- Various temporal resolution, different number of profiles of different length obtained during various measurement campaigns
Coverage and spatial resolution:
- Global (see figure on top of page)
- Spatial resolution: None, sampling along the cruise tracks depends on measurement campaign
- Geographic Latitude: -90°N to 90°N
- Geographic Longitude: 0°E to 360°E
- Dimension: 1 column x 1 row x N measurements along the vertical profile
- Altitude: N depths, vertical profiles
Original data, not yet validated
Name: Viktor Gouretski
Institute: CliSAP / KlimaCampus / ICDC
In agreement with Viktor Gouretski